December 31, 2009

Gusset Heel Socks

Inspired by a knit-along for the Socks From The Toe Up book at Ravelry, I combined a recently Kool-Aid dyed yarn with a basic toe-up pattern. The yarn is Kirjo-Pirkka from Pirkanmaan Kotityö Oy, originally white, dyed with six bags of Grape and one bag of Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade flavored Kool-Aid. I was originally going for a more solid color, but it didn't turn out that way, and I'm actually quite happy with how it turned out. I didn't want to combine it with a complicated sock pattern, though, so I thought this Gusset Heel Basic Socks pattern would be a good match. The needles were 2.0 mm. The socks are a pretty good fit, but due to the wider than usual toe cast on for me, the toe is a but too roomy.

This post wraps up year 2009 for my blog. I'm looking forward to 2010 as a productive knitting year! Thanks to everyone who has commented on my posts during this first year. I don't always reply to the comments, but I read and am thankful for every one of them.

5 comments:

  1. Color came out awesome. Didn't know you could get colors this intense from Kool-Aid.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous colour!! I hope you have a wonderful 2010. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful socks! The colour is great and you'd never guess it was koolaid. Hmm, I'm thinking about buying that book - really want to try some toe up socks with a gusset heel. Happy new year and here's to lots of productive knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color did turn out perfectly! Nice little pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you can get fairly strong colors with Kool-Aid, you're just going to need a lot of it! This batch of 100 grams of yarn needed seven bags.

    ReplyDelete