March 19, 2009

Porom #3


It has taken me three goes at Porom by Jared Flood to get what I want; with the right yarn, correct needle size, successful marker movement in chart B, and, most important of all, the right amount of blocking I think I finally perfected it.

My first try was a complete failure, too much blocking ending up in a stretched out end result which I then, frustrated, completely felted in the washer. The second try was more successful, but I still blocked it slightly too much. Now it's finally the right size. 

After more than ten years of knitting experience behind me, I'm finally starting to learn that I'm a loose knitter, and I had to go down a full millimeter in needle size to get my desired gauge, especially for the rim. I also learned not to stretch the rim while wet, so what I did was pull the hat over the blocking balloon while it was dry, and only then moisten the hat.

The yarn I used is Alpakka by Sandnes Garn.

3 comments:

  1. it's wonderful to learn new things... but don't you HATE learning the hard way??? aarrgghhhhh!

    oh well, I guess that the up side of learning the hard way, is that you don't forget too easily...

    as for the finished piece... stunning!

    love the colour, the style, the fit, the workmanship... well worth the effort...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third time is a charm ~ looks gorgeous! Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks great on you! and i love the color

    ReplyDelete